- Programme : Restructuration/extension of courthouse in Douai
- Location : Douai, 59.
- Rue de la Cloris.
- Calendar : Under construction.
- Client : APIJ.
- Architecture team : Hamonic + Masson & Associés. Chef de projet : Marie-Agnès de Bailliencourt..
- BET TCE : Scoping.
- environemental : Cap Terre.
- Acoustician : JP Lamoureux
Graphics : Luxigon
- Cost : 6,7 M € HT.
- Surface : 1 500 m² SHON.
Extension of courthouse, Douai, France
To a large extent this courthouse extension is shaped by the site where it will be created. The sloping terrain ensures a close interplay between the building and the ground on which it stands. We have emphasized the sense of gradual discovery of the building, which is largely clad in mineral materials, and is rooted in the soil itself. The courtrooms are the exclusive domain of the theatre of the Law. We wanted to bathe them in light by installing glazing all around the upper parts of the rooms. The windows are set high up to ensure privacy, whilst still creating a link with the world outside, in order to avoid an overly theatrical or claustrophobic atmosphere associated with rooms devoid of daylight.